10 February 2009

Fancy A Read?

Apart from trying to sort this blog( a time consuming task for the non-IT initiated), I´ve been doing quite a bit of reading. It struck me that maybe I´m reading stuff that you don´t know about and that you might find interesting.

Hence the following list:

RJ Ellory Ghost Heart

Jason Webster Guerra

Jude Morgan Passion

Kate Hickson Courtesans


I´m still in the process of reading the Jude Morgan book. All the above are (I think) Brilliant.

Two Swedish authors who are great:

Henning Mankell whose most famous creation, Inspector Kurt Wallander, appeared in a recent BBC (?) TV 3-week series. The last book I read of his was The Man Who Smiled.

Vilhelm Moberg is an older writer and wrote his series of 4 books beginning with
The Emigrants
in the 1950s. It´s about a poor family emigrating to America in the 1850s. It was made into a film for Swedish TV in the 70s with Liv Ullman and Max von Sydow. I cut my Swedish Language teeth on these books and although it was very hard work for me, I simply had to plough on as the story was so compelling.

Other books, which I read last autumn, but thought I´d bung in here as great reads are:

Kazuo Ishiguru Never Let Me Go

Arturo Perez-Reverte The Flanders Panel
Queen of the South
( This writer lives in Catagena)

Ann Widdecomb An Act of Treachery

( She´s written a sequel to this but I can´t remember the title).

I actually wrote this blog very carefully, giving a potted story outline of the books then forgot to save it before viewing the blog!! (The air was alive with the sounds of cursing rather than music).

Anyway, there you are. Happy reading.

If any of you have good- read titles, puttem on the TWC blog.

See you

Chris

1 comment:

  1. Interesting list! I enjoyed Ishiguru's 'The Remains of the Day' - amazing when you consider he was a young Japanese man writing about a world long past yet captured the mannerisms and contained emotions so well. Reverte is also well known for his swashbuckling tales of Capitan Alatriste - which have recently been translated into English.
    Nik

    ReplyDelete