19 June 2009

O Gawd!! Summer in the Frozen North!!


Its only a short while and I´m off to Sweden for a summer holiday. As the temperature there just now is round 12 degrees and in Spain, where I am, it´s well over 30 degrees I think I´m in for a bit of a shock. No idea really what to take in the clothes line. It can change and get really warm but I´m not exactly holding my breath.

It´s Midsummer there today - just about the biggest festival of the year. The Swedish dream is of a lovely sunny day, sitting outside in a beautiful garden eating the traditional herring with new potatoes and strawberries and whipped cream for afters.

Unfortunately, often the only thing whipped is the trees , which are bending over in the wind, lashed with rain. I lived there for 30 years and in all that time, I maybe experienced the dream a handful of times. Normally, even if there isn´t a gale, it´s too nippy to be outside.

Still, I suppose I get enough sun down here in Spain so I have to be positive and think of all the other things that I´ll do there. Seeing friends, mooching about the town where I used to live and appreciating the lovely, totally different scenery.

Yes, actually, it might be quite a nice holiday. But I still think I´d better pack my thermals!

1 comment:

  1. Intrepid, that's what you are... Look forward to reading reports!
    Nik

    ReplyDelete