26 May 2009

A Short Break.


Calpe is a place I´ve been visiting for quite a few years now. a friend has a flat there and when she comes out from England I usually visit her.

The huge rock in the photo is called the Peñon de Ifach and it dominates Calpe. The first time I went there I knew nothing about Calpe at all and, as I arrived in the middle of the night, I didn´t see the rock until I went onto the balcony the next morning. I was totally gobsmacked and I´ve never got over that feeling, although I´ve seen it many times by now.

The town is full of expats, mostly British but a fair number of Belgians, Germans and Dutch. However, there are also many Spaniards living and working there and in the summer months there is a veritable invasion from Madrid and other large towns.

I always go to the Wednesday Rastro, and the Saturday market, which is on a hill and requires a certain level of fitness! There are stacks of places to eat and masses of bars doing tapas and then of course there´s the obvious attraction - the beach. The old town up on the hill and the port with its fish market and fish restaurants are two more of my favourite places.

All in all, another lovely visit chalked up.
Here´s to the next time, Calpe!

1 comment:

  1. Lucky you - I have often read about the Peñon de Ifach (and again here today!) but I have still not made the visit to see it - shame on me!

    ReplyDelete